Friday, June 12, 2009

what's new pussycat?

I was just at The Royal Hawaiian Hotel, the "Pink Palace" of the Pacific, relaxing and enjoying the scenery when I noticed this girl walking up from the beach. She had on huge designer sunglasses, the type celebrities wear when they want to be incognito, a red printed bikini with a sheer zebra print sarong tied around her small hips. Her physically fit body was well toned, with the flattest tummy I've yet to see on the beaches of Waikiki. As she was walking closer I thought that maybe I knew her. "Robin? Robin?" I loudly whispered. She didn't hear me at first as she was walking up a short flight of stairs and around the pillar that blocked her view. "Robin? Robin Antin?" I asked. She turned and acknowledged the question but didn't recognize who I was. "Robin, it's me" I said. "Oh my god....!". And the beat goes on.....

Well, all I can say is Robin Antin is the last person I thought I would EVER see, in Waikiki of all places. The last time I saw Robin Antin was over 6 years ago, before I moved to New York. She had her office/studio across the hall from my office. For those of you not familiar with Robin Antin, she is the creator and founding Mama Cat of "The Pussycat Dolls". It was the beginnings of her burlesque troupe with the PCD. I remember the girls lined up down the hall for auditions or rehearsals in the 10x20 office space. Robin's not only a choreographer, but a music video director, actress, clothing designer and opened the first Pussycat Dolls Lounge in Vegas.

She's in Honolulu this weekend with "The Pussycat Dolls" who are performing a "sold out" show at the Blaisdell Arena. They are promoting their second album "Doll Domination", lead by Hawaii-born Nicole Scherzinger. It is their first performance in Hawaii. The only song of the PCD I'm familiar with is "Don't Cha"...."don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me? don't cha......" Aw, c'mon, you've sung it yourself a time or two, don't lie!

Robin Antin has come a long way. She "big time" now. She's worked mighty damn hard to get to where she is and I'm so happy for her. It was good to see her again. She's the same Robin I knew back when. And NO, I'm not going to the show! Now, if I can only stop singing that song!

No comments: