Tuesday, June 9, 2009

storytelling:chapter 1 land of aloha~part 3

...continued from storytelling:land of aloha~pt.2

I spent the last 2 weeks in a bikini and wearing my vintage Hawaiian print dresses. It was a great holiday with the most splendid weather I've had in an especially long time. The temperature in Hawaii was a consistent 80*. Every waking minute was hot and sunny, without a cloud in the sky. It was now a miserable cold and snowy morning. I'm back to wearing my heavy knitted neck scarf, flannel pajamas and thick socks. My morning breakfast is two cold tablets with a cup of coffee. No more half cut papaya with a slice of lime and freshly brewed cups of 100% Kona coffee. Gone is the sweet scent the of the Hawaiian white jasmine and the warm tropical breeze flowing through our rental car. No more sitting on the "lanai" (balcony) and watching the birds hopping on the railing surrounding our condo or watching the sun setting on the calm Pacific Ocean. I'm back to reality, back to the real world. 

"Hubby", trying his best to cheer me up, reminded me we had something great to look forward to this afternoon. Had I forgotten about our adoption? "Oh....yes, no, I didn't forget!" as I straightened my posture. "We're having not one, but two permanent guests coming to live with us today", I commented.  How horrible that I could forget such a happy occasion. And w only a 6 weeks waiting period. I don't know how this occurred, but it was "hubby's" decision on adopting not one, but two "babies"! And it all began with an email my boss forwarded me mid-December: 

Subject: Holiday Kitty Extravaganza!

"I recently fell in love with a sweet little pregnant homeless house cat, named her Cindy Crawford and brought her in as night-time temps dipped close to freezing. Within a day of her arrival, the relieved Cindy Crawford set up shop in the dresser's bottom drawer and went to work... having five beautiful kittens! All were born healthy and now, after almost six weeks, they're getting ready for new homes....Here's a link to photos of them all.  Enjoy, and if you know anyone who might be interested in a kitten, please forward.  They'll all be ready for new homes right around Christmas (they're perfect stocking stuffers!)and/or New Years, so if you or a friend fancies one (or two!), please let me know.  There's been some interest so far, but we only have one of the tigers spoken for, and it's down to crunch time.  I'd like to see them go to good people/families and would like to avoid using Craig's List if at all possible. Here they are!"

It hadn't crossed my mind, one way or the other, about getting another feline, two for that matter. It was almost 11 months since "Baby Girl" died of feline leukemia. She was 5 years old and healthier than ever. I'm still not convinced she died of leukemia, but of "tainted cat food". There was a huge pandemic going on about all these domestic pets dying from tainted cat food made in China. I had also lost my other cat, "Bar" aka "Fatty Boy", just 3 months prior to that. I adopted "Bar" when he was 1 year old. He was 22 years old when he died of cancer. It was all too devastating having lost two cats. I just wasn't convinced, til I saw the photos! What suckers!

They were the cutest kitties...two tigers, one black (the one I wanted, at first) and two white ones that had dark grey crowns that looked like mohawks. Identical sisters, who looked like their mother, Cindy Crawford, with the exception that the one had one brown eye and one blue eye, like David Bowie! "Tell her we'll take the two white kittens!". "What? Two? Are you nuts?", I exclaimed. "Yeah, call her up and tell her we'll take the two white ones. Go on!"

And so I did. And that's how we came to adopt "Frankie" and "Candy Darling".

to be continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The story about your cats was great. You love cats so much. Why didnt you have one as a child or teen? I guess your peeps wanted Pasha so that was that i suppose.
Anyway, you are a very good writer. The details in your stories make them very interesting. Keep it up!