Tuesday, October 20, 2009

storytelling:chapter 3 obsession~part 3

...continued from storytelling:chapter 3 obsession~part 2


The main focus of areas I wanted to live in were Manoa, Kapahulu, Kaimuki to Kahala and Waikiki to as far as downtown, but not into the chinatown area. It's pretty sketchy down there. The reason for my interest in these neighborhoods was that it would be a convenient and easy route for work, shopping (for groceries!!!! I got the other covered. I'd know how to get to the other if I had to crawl) and it's pretty much central to everything without a problem.


Here's another find on craigslist: "$1975. DOWNTOWN. 2 BDRM. 2BATH. PENTHOUSE CORNER UNIT. MUST SEE TO BELIEVE". Boy, that's for sure! Just like the first realtor listing, it comes loaded with adjective galore, unbelievable photos of the interior and an ocean view to die for. Steps to the beach. All the ameneties. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance. There was the realtor's photo with all the necessary information. Same great big smile and well groomed caucasian. Who was I to question this realtor?


Once again, I email the posting and mentioned my situation about my move next year in Feb. '09...blah, blah, blah. Let me mention that it's July '08 when I am inquiring. I'm only trying to get some information about the place as many of the newer condo listings aren't ready for move-in yet until end of year or the new year.


I get an immediate response. Cool, I thought. He's on top of it. "Thank you for your interest in whatever the hell the name of the condominium was." He goes on to say that rentals are going fast and if I am interested to fill out the attached pre-application form. It was the same application as the previous realtor. My thought was, "okay, it must be a standard pre-application form". Same exact questions. I fill out the form and send it back. Within the hour, I get a response from Mr. Realtor #2. I have been approved. "PLEASE SEND DEPOSIT." Huh? Not again?


I email Mr. Realtor #2 and told him exactly what I wrote to Mr. Realtor #1. He in turn replies, that without a deposit, he could not show me the condo as they are being rented so quickly. Ya know, it's not like I'm buying the place. I'm no big corporation and the folks behind the condo is no one I know. So I kindly tell him, thank you, but no thank you. Never to be heard from again.


I have to tell you that once I moved here and came across some of the listings that I remembered looking into, this condo was not steps to the beach and it was not a condo at all. It turned out to be strictly an office building. Not a residency.


to be continued...

No comments: