Sunday, October 18, 2009

storytelling:chapter 3 obsession~part 2

...continued from storytelling:obsession~pt.1


It's pretty surprising what one can find on Craigslist. It's a fun, yet questionable place to go trolling for anything from the personals, job hunting, events, services, for sale, discussions and even housing. You can even find the unexpected: the art of scamming.


While apartment/house "surfing" online in the state of Hawaii, I never would have thought for one moment I would come across scammers. But they are prevalent! I was somewhat shocked. Like it's been said a thousand times "if it looks to good to be true, it is NOT true".  Trust nothing and no one! Sad but true. For instance this posting: "$1100. LGE SPACIOUS 1 BDRM IN HIGH RISE CONDO. SECURED. UTILITIES INCL. FURNISHED." Then you click on the titled posting and it leads to something more unbelievable. An ariel view of the condo. Complete description of the the condo. 1500 sq. feet, corner unit, ocean view, brand new carpets, marble kitchen floors and counters, same with the bathroom. The furniture is something out of Architectural Digest: plush leather sofa and chairs, glass tables, huge lamps, king size bed, wall murals,  state-of-the-art stainless steel kitchen. Then there's a photo slide show of each room. There's secured parking and a 24 hour gym. Oh yea, a professionally shot photo of the real estate agent whose well groomed with a great big smile on his dis-honest face, the real estate office and his contact number. 


So, I email the "reply to" person/realtor that I am interested in his beautiful $1100 1 bdrm condo and would like to set up an appointment with him to view the condo. I mention that my move-in date will be first week of Feb. '09 and that in will be in Honolulu in Nov. '08 for a week, viewing prospective housing. Mr. Realtor, writes back immediately and says he would like me to fill out the attached application form. Surprised that I got such an immediately, I happily obliged, without hesitation.


I fill out the form. It's your basic pre-application form: names of person(s), address, contact number, email. Long term or short term? Where I bank and 3 references. I send it back. Again I get an immediate response within a half hour. And that should have been the red flag. I have been approved. "Please send deposit." Huh? 


So I emailed Mr. Realtor AGAIN of my situation in case he misunderstood the first time that I wouldn't be able to move into the rental until Feb. of '09, BUT, that I would be in Honolulu in Nov. '08 and would like to view the rental first before before giving him a security deposit. I never heard from him again. I did attempt to contact him a couple times after that. No response. I didn't think anything of this.


to be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay Missy,
You got the hook in on your blog and leave me hanging about Mr.(you forgot ASSHOLE) Realtor!! You should have contacted the Hawaii State Atty General

prickly pineapple said...

apparently, it's quite prevalent in a lot of craigslist's categories. you just have to be aware and careful when responding to ads.