Thursday, May 28, 2009

kc original waffle hot dog

The last time I heard the name "KC Waffle Hot Dog"was back in the 80's, when I use to work at Masquerade Nightclub, then go party at the Wave or Pink Cadillac. So last week when I read in the paper that the "KC Original Waffle Hot Dog" was coming to Shirokiya (a Japanese department store) at Ala Moana Shopping Center, I was really excited. I got to meet Dayton Asato, third generation and then president, of the legendary family-owned,KC Drive Inn, famous for it's waffle hot dog and ono-ono shakes. Dayton is a kind, warm and friendly person. Very genuine. He told me original KC Drive Inn was on Kalakaua Ave. and Ala Wai Blvd., and then they moved to Kapahulu Ave. until 2005. Because of costs, competition and the unknown future of the business, KC Drive Inn closed its doors. What I was shocked to learn was that the family had been in business for over 70 years, 47 years in the Waikiki area! But thank goodness for Dayton, because he wanted to carry out a family tradition.... the KC Original Waffle Hot Dog!
The waffle batter is a family recipe with a sprinkling of Dayton's magic. I think it's something sweet, like Dayton! The batter is poured into a cast iron mold of six, the hot dog then placed in the center with a little more batter poured on top. Down comes the top part of the cast iron and the waffle hot dog cooks for several minutes. I was getting ready to take photos and was tapped on the shoulder, a finger waving at me and was told "no photos!" I felt my upper lip curl just like Lucille Ball, whenever she got into trouble! After the hot dog is cooked inside, it is then flipped onto a cooling rack and the edges slightly trimmed. Then a cute little old Japanese man slips the waffle hot dog into a foil like wrapper. Small packets of mustard and catsup are added if you wish. There's a limit of 3 waffle hot dogs per person at $3.50 each. I ordered 3 and immediately rushed to the cashier and out the door for a taste. I ate 2 waffle hot dogs, one with mustard and one without. I have to tell you...the waffle hot dog is really, really good even without the accoutrement's. A golden brown, soft and delicately sweet outside and a perfectly cooked hot dog on the inside. It was all that I thought it would be and remembered. I was in waffle hot dog heaven!
I think Dayton should open a small waffle hot dog shop and bring back memories of good eats, friends, families and fun!

2 comments:

prickly pineapple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
prickly pineapple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.