Wednesday, March 31, 2010

punk art:an eye view of "flyer" culture

I was driving thru Hermosa Beach one day and passing by what was once my old jr. high school, Pier Ave. It's now called the "Hermosa Beach Historical Society" and there's a historical museum. What? My old school has a historical museum? So I looked it up on-line and much to my surprise, there was a retrospective of punk rock flyers from the South Bay area. Cool! 


I was thinking maybe the museum was in the former school gym where I once served up disgusting mushy green peas and mashed potatoes donning a stylish prison-like hairnet, bet on horse races, talked about yesterday's episode of 'Dark Shadows" and where they filmed "Carrie". Yup, that "Carrie"...scary "if you wanna f*k with me I'll show you", Carrie!


The exhibition was in the old wood shop, below the cafeteria, next to the where the girls locker room was, now a surf museum. I found it quite interesting that there's was this huge punk rock scene in the South Bay area. One always thinks of Orange County bringing forth this massive punk rock genre. But this exhibit was pretty darn cool...two rooms of flyers, concert photos, album covers, gold records and other memorabilia from Black Flag, Circle Jerks, The Descendents to Pennywise. The images shows the history and importance of punk rock music and it's movement in Hermosa Beach in a span of 40 years. Viva Punk Rock!


No comments: